- Demonstrate leadership. Help your business-side peers achieve their goals.
- Talk the talk. Speak the language of the business.
- Focus on solving problems. Talk about solutions, not technology, when discussing business.
- Anticipate needs. Stay ahead of the business by researching new solutions.
- Sell your vision. Be evangelical and repetitive when promoting your IT plans.
- Celebrate your successes. Recognize IT department members' achievements, and seek industry recognition by applying for awards.
This was first published in September 2005